The
International
Historic Motorsport
Show

Stoneleigh Park
20th, 21st and 22nd February 2004

 

The Legendary BRM V16

(Historic Grand Prix Cars Association)

Powered by a supercharged 1½ litre V16 engine.

Music to the ears of Grand Prix racing!

The following text courtesy of www.ultimatecarpage.com

This is the BRM V16, as raced in the earliest years of F1 (1950-1952). It is powered by a supercharged 1.5 litre V16 engine that produces loads of power at once so it was difficult to control.

The designers had designed the engine to produce 550 bhp but this numbers were never reached. The V16 was the first BRM (British Racing Motors), the project was sponsored by many British companies hoping to defeat the Italian Maseratis and most of all the all conquering Alfa Romeos. The first V16 was finished in 1949, though it wasn't tested it was entered in the Silverstone Grand Prix but it wasn't able to leave the start grid. The disapointed crowd 'bombed' the BRM with coins.

The newer cars were a bit better but it was not reliable enough and the power came at once so it was very hard to drive. It was raced in the first two F1 seasons, 1950-1951. The sound produced by the 16 tiny cylinders is legendary and anyone who ever had the pleasure/pain of hearing the V16 will never forget the exhilerating scream.

Tom Wheatcroft, founder of the Donington Collection, seems quite at home in the 16-cylinder BRM.

 
 
 

 

1957 Vanwall 2.5 litre - Vanwall Cars

The brainchild of Tony Vandervell, the millionaire head of the Vandervell Bearings concern, the Vanwall won the World Manufacturers Championship in 1959

The marque could not be represented than by this magnificent 1957 2.5 litre example of the world's most complete collection of Vanwalls within the Donington Grand Prix Collection.

BEST VANWALL PERFORMANCES:
STIRLING MOSS: 1956 Silverstone International Trophy; 1957 Pescara and Italian Grand Prix; 1958 Dutch, Portuguese and Morocco Grands Prix.
TONY BROOKS: 1957 British Grand Prix (with Moss), Belgian, German and Italian Grands Prix.

 

1938 SS Jaguar 100 - 2½ and 3½ Litre - Ecurie Bertelli Ltd

Together with the Jaguar saloon, at the 1935 Motor Show SS introduced the SS 100 sports car. This was not quite the first sports car that SS had made, as a small number of the similarly-styled SS90 had been built earlier that year, but the SS 100 made a far greater impact thanks to its new 102 bhp overhead valve engine. The original 2½ litre model was supplemented by the even more powerful 3½ with 125 bhp for the 1938 model year.

The SS 100 provided a remarkable combination of looks and performance, with a top speed of 94 mph (151 kph) or 101 mph (163 kph) depending on engine size, and was even by Jaguar standards remarkable value for money at 395 or 445, the same as the saloon models with similar engine sizes. The SS 100 quickly made its mark in motor sport, with wins in the 1936 Alpine Trial and the 1937 RAC Rally.

This particular car is quite possibly the most famous of the 309 SS 100s built. It started life as a 1938 2½ litre model but was for some reason retained unregistered by the company, and was kept a William Lyons's home throughout the war. After the war, it was sold to Ian Appleyard, son of the Jaguar dealer in Leeds. The car was then fitted with a 3½ litre engine, and was only registered in Leeds in 1947.

Appleyard (who would soon marry William Lyons's elder daughter, Patricia) intended to go rallying with the car. He had already entered another SS 100 (EXT 207) in the 1947 International Alpine Rally, and had finished third in class. In 1948, he again entered the Alpine Rally, now with his 'new' car LNM 100. He won his class and one of the Alpine Cup trophies. In 1949, he came second overall in the Dutch Tulip Rally. Not bad for a ten-year old car! Appleyard continued his career in a new Jaguar XK 120, and for many years was Britain's top international rally driver.

 

Steyr Allard - The Midland Automobile Club

The car was built by Sydney Allard and his team in a record time of six weeks, From thought to event in 1947. After a few teething problems and careful work to extract more power, the combination of Sydney's driving and brute power of the Steyr engine gave him the 1949 RAC Hillclimb Championship. The car went through several major changes in subsequent years, namely four-wheel-drive which carried a hefty weight penalty and was eventually discarded. The current owner had the car restored to its present condition, which is the specification that won the 1949 Championship.

 

Type 59 Bugatti - Bugati Owner's Club

Ettore Bugatti's final attempt at producing a team of cars was the Type 59 3.3 litre Grand Prix car, considered by many to be the most elegant pre-war racing car built along classic lines.

The car was fast, with its engine in final form giving out about 250bhp, and a team of three 2.8 litre versions was entered for the 1934 French Grand Prix in the hands of Dreyfus (3rd), Nuvolari (5th) and Wimille.

The engines were then enlarged to 3.3 litres with wins at Spa in Belgium (Dreyfus first, Brivio second) and at Algiers (Wimille). Nuvolari was third in the Spanish Grand Prix and Benoist fourth in the French Grand Prix.

With the increasing success of Mercedes Benz and Auto Union in the Grand Prix, Bugatti did not enter a team of cars after the end of 1934.

 

HRG 1.5 Litre Sports Car - The Motor Cycling Club

The HRG was produced at Tolworth in Surrey in small numbers, but many examples achieved success in competition, including the Alpine Rally and the Spa 24 Hour Race.

When the original Meadows engine became outdated, HRG turned to a Singer unit in both 1100cc and 1500cc form, while post-war their Aerodynamic model showed there was no stagnation of design.

 

The Pacey-Hassen - Brooklands/Society/BRDC

Wally Hassen was one of the first employees of Bentley Motors, and when the company went into liquidation he was taken on by Woolf Barnato, its Chairman.

Hassan built and developed the Barnato-Hassan Special, and later the Pacey-Hassan, with Wally Saunders for E.W.W. Pacey.

It was Brooklands' most successful track car of 1936, and was awarded the British Racing Driver's Club's Gold Star.

 

1936 Aston Martin 2 Litre Speed Model

Chassis No. G6/702/UR (LM23)
Ecurie Bertelli Ltd

A prototype 2 litre built as a works entry for the 1936 Le Mans 24 hour race which was cancelled.

The last of the pre-war team cars.

 

Aston Martin DBR1/2

Five DBR1s were made: From 1957 to 1959, the works 3-litre DBR1s started in 16 races and achieved eight victories, including the World Sportscar Championship - the only British win until 1987 - using only seven engines!

This is the most succesful Aston Martin ever.

Of the eight wins achieved during 1957 to 1959 by DBR1's, this car won six !!

Design of the DBR/1, was started in 1955, with E 'Ted' Cutting as Chef Designer (Special Projects).

This car has a small tube space frame, trailing link and transverse torsion bar front suspension while the rear suspension has a de Dion system, located with Watts linkage with longitudinal torsion bars. A five-speed, all indirect David Brown gearbox (CG 537) combined with the differential and a lower body with particularly clean lines.

The CG 537 non-synchronised (with face dogs) gearbox has ratios of 0.735, 0.818, 1.035, 1.458, and 2.11:1. The Girling disc brakes, 12" at the fornt and 11½" at the back, wre lighter than those used on the DB35, having light alloy calipers.

The RB6/300 engine, with a new cylinder head (P/N 79898) with valves at an angle of 95°, new camshaft and larger inlet valves, had an output of 252 bhp at 6,000 rpm. The change from 45 to 50 DCO Weber carburettors in 1959 had only a marginal effect on the power output. The compression ratio was 9.25 to 1 in the 2,493 cc version and 8.5, increasingthrough 8.7 (with new head) to 9.8 to 1 on the 3 litre engine.

 

Ford GT40

 
 
 

Autodromo Ltd - Makers of fine scale models.

 
 
 

Lancia B20

 
 

 

AutoItalia Magazine

Britain's leading Italian car magazine.

 

Lahoma Engineering Ltd

Cylinder Heads

Crankcases

The photos illustrate a crank case and lower case for a Maserati 300S and a cylinder head for a Maserati 250F.

 
 
 

Jaguar D Type

 
 
 

The 2004 International Historic Motorsport Show was supported by AON Insurance, Circuit Driver Magazine, Classic British Quality Charter, The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, Footman James Insurance Brokers, H&H Classic Auctions, Historic Motor Racing News, Ingear Motorsport Magazine, The Motorsport Industry Association, Octane Magazine, Race Tech Magazine. The International Historic Motorsport Show supports the following charities: The Motorsport Safety Fund, The Historic Vehicle Research Institute, The Shelsley Trust.




BACK TO THE MASERATIS AND FERRARIS.
 



To enter Enrico's Maserati Pages CLICK HERE!

Copyright: Enrico's Maserati Pages - © 2004. All rights reserved.