From The USA
BOB HAS FOR SALE: His 1980 Maserati Quattroporte III
I am selling my Quattroporte III which has been extensively re-commissioned.
I have owned the car for 13 months and am the third owner.
Here are the details:
Car fitted with a catalytic convertor (if applicable) ? - Yes, it has catalytic convertors and has passed California's emission test.
Chassis No: ZAMBC1107AA301064.
Colour: Brown metallic.
Interior: Natural leather - extra leather included with sale.
Mileage: 68,850 miles.
Asking US $17,500 - negotiable.
"The third generation of the Maserati Quattroporte (Tipo AM 330) was developed under the Alejandro de Tomaso-GEPI ownership...the third generation went back to the classic formula of rear-wheel drive and a large Maserati V8 engine (4930cc/280hp 4x2bbl Weber carbs). The exterior design was penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro."
"The Quattroporte III marked the last of the hand-built Italian cars; all exterior joints and seams were filled to give a seamless appearance."
Price in 1980: $65,470.
This is a unique Italian classic which now runs and drives very well.
Petrolicious agrees - "The Maserati Quattroporte is Brutally Beautiful !"
Hagerty valuation guide: 1980 Quattroporte .
Quattroporte Background, References to Articles.
Appearance: Original paint.
Transmission: Chrysler A727 Automatic.
Recommissioning work (by previous owner in Honolulu unless Burbank is noted):
Air-Conditioning & Dash/Instrument Cluster
• Dash removed for access to the A/C evaporator and to replace the sun-shrunken leather dash covering.
• The instrument cluster body plastic mounting lugs repaired.
• The instrument body was assembled and mounted into the dash leather covered pod. The leather was replaced. Extra leather from half-hide included with sale - $700 value.
• Blend door with new foam installed.
• Evaporator leak repaired.
• A/C and heater unit charged with Freon and bench tested for leaks.
• New heater valve installed.
• After dash installed, evacuated the A/C system and charged it with Freon. Cold air!
• Compressor clutch disconnected for shipping. After arrival in Burbank, the circuit was re-connected, the A/C works as original.
Alternator & Voltage Regulator
• Rebuilt and installed the alternator with new bearings.
• Installed a new internal regulator.
• Installed new bearings for power steering and A/C compressor.
• Brake fluid reservoir emptied and cleaned.
• Flushed and bled the brake system with new, clean fluid.
• Rear calipers (inboard discs) previously rebuilt.
• New pads for front and rear brakes.
• All calipers checked OK; no signs of sticking or leaking.
Carbs & Intake Manifold
• Intake manifold removed; carb assembly cleaned.
• Cleaned head surfaces and the vee area of the block.
• Carb tops removed off, float bowls and the accelerator pump jets cleaned.
• Idle jets cleaned and new O-rings on the holders installed.
• Throttle linkage joints and bearings cleaned and lubricated.
• Cleaned and tested the micro-switch that activates a solenoid valve in the vacuum line to the distributor for emission control - retards ignition timing when the throttles are closed.
• The air box flapper valves now working as expected.
• Cleaned the connector plug and checked continuity to the solenoid valve.
• Cleaned the connector plug to the switch for the "choke on" warning light.
• Air cleaner electric pumps installed for "snorkel" vacuum operated flapper valves to trap evaporative emissions when the engine is off.
• Wiring and vacuum lines to the ignition retard solenoid checked and working.
• Timing for advance and retard checked within spec.
• Engine started March, 2018 and reported running very well.
• Cruise control assembly removed, included with sale.
• Weber carburetor diaphragms replaced by Alfa Italia (Burbank), May 2019.
Dash & Console
• A/C controls installed to the console. Tested and working. The panel push buttons control all the vacuum operated blend doors for A/C, heat, and defrost, a lever that operates the heater water valve, and the switch for the four speed fan - checked and working properly.
• Fused voltage supply and an additional relay added for all three interior lights working. On when a door is opened and go off when the door is closed. All three lights can be turned on independently from inside the car.
• "Bulb failure device" warning light diagnosed; partially repaired.
• Radio and powered antenna installed and working.
• All windows operate from console switches.
• Interior lights operate when doors open or are closed.
• Switch to control interior lights when the doors are closed checked OK.
• Door buttons lock and unlock when opened with key or from console.
• Checked and adjusted the cam chain tension.
• Checked cam valve clearances.
• Thermostat cover and water outlet on the manifold repaired to cure a water leak.
• Engine oil changed.
• Oil and fuel filters changed.
• Engine cleaned and detailed for car shows (Burbank).
Exhaust & Headers
• Both headers ceramic coated.
• New exhaust rubber hangers installed for the mid-section exhausts.
• New after market fuel pump and fabricated bracket installed. Both original fuel pumps included with the car.
• Gas tank removed and cleaned (Alfa Italia, Burbank).
• Gas gauge - intermittent, likely caused by tank sediment. Techron added during several Burbank tank fills, the gauge shows a fluctuating but mostly correct level (Burbank).
• New distributor pickup/sensor wires installed.
• New spark plugs.
• Original owner's manual and its leather pouch in glove box.
• Trunk - re-assembled; carpeted box at the right, front, top of the trunk covers the radio antenna motor. Original bag, jack, lug wrench, and handle checked as complete. No tool roll.
• Used, "as-new" console cover replaced the worn/torn original (Burbank).
• Seats and all leather surfaces treated with Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, cleaned with Prestine Clean (Burbank).
• Sheepskin covers protected front seats for many years were replaced with "Kool Kooshion Faux Leather Full Seat Cushions". Easily removed for car shows or leather maintenance (Burbank).
• Carpets - original insulation was hard, brittle and flaking off. Ensolite foam (1/8") from the Foam Mart, Burbank was glued to the four carpet sections.
• Headliner cleaned (Burbank).
• Radiator cooling fan motors disassembled, bearings lubricated. Brushes, armature, and commutator checked OK.
• Area of the cooling system header tank and the transmission oil cooler (in the left front fender well) cleaned and rust- proofed.
• Radiator removed, fins straightened, pressure tested, painted, replaced.
• Low coolant warning light sending unit cleaned and checked .
• New thermostatic switch for the radiator fans installed.
• Two new relays and heavy duty blade type fuse holders for the radiator cooling fans installed. Both fans also come on when the A/C is operating so that the A/C condenser in front of the radiator is cooled .
• One tie rod boot replaced; internal plastic socket replaced.
• Four new Kumho Solus 225/70/15 tires installed and balanced (2 in Burbank).
• Wheels cleaned before tire installation inside and out.
• Spare tire (replaced Pirelli) cleaned and in the well in the trunk.
• Installed new transmission oil cooler lines.
• New oil filter installed.
• Fluid drained and new filter installed.
• Kick-down throttle rod adjusted.
• New gearbox mount installed.
• Removable inner fender splash shield where air horn, windscreen washer pump, headlight washer pump, and the washer reservoir are located (right front fender area was sand blasted, primed, and painted. All wiring was cleaned and repaired. Brake lights wiring was check and confirmed all working.
• "C" pillar repair - sand blasted the rust areas at the rear quarter trident emblem. Surface filled, rust-proofed and primed.
• "Brown Metallizzato" paint matched by Master Auto Parts (Sun Valley) and sprayed on the "C" pillar on October 22, 2018. Remaining paint, reducer and hardener included with the car for touch-ups.
• Gas support struts for hood and trunk replaced with new Sachs and StrongArm parts. Trunk opens with the console button, as designed (Burbank).
• Original paint on all horizontal surfaces was severely weathered/ sun-burned. After arrival in Burbank, faded surfaces were sanded with 1600 paper, smoothed with rubbing compound, polished and waxed. Video of partly polished roof.
• The Quattroporte appearance is "as found, original". Small rust areas on the lower doors and front fenders can be cut out and patched with sheet metal to preserve originality.
• All window motors cleaned, checked and operate.
• Aluminum panel barriers installed to close up the access openings on both front doors between the inside of the door and the interior trim panel. Provides a good seal and stiffens the door.
• Window tint film - old film was removed and all windows cleaned with ammonia (Burbank).
Hawaii Safety Check, Registration & Shipping
• Maserati insured to qualify for a Hawaii safety check and historical vehicle registration.
• First stage of the Hawaii safety check was completed on April 13, 2018.
• The safety check was completed on April 20, 2018.
• Maserati was then State of Hawaii road-legal for the first time since March, 2011 !
• May 10, 2018 - Maserati taken to the Pasha depot in Honolulu.
• May 30, 2018 - Maserati picked up in Buena Park; then to Burbank.
All re-commissioning work by seller/professional mechanic in Honolulu is fully described and documented in 57 emails, with photos, from November 27, 2016 through May 10, 2018.
California Registration and Smog Certificate
• Smog certificate - Alfa Italia (Burbank) checked the timing and the carbs before a smog test at the In and Out test center. Maserati passed on August 22, 2018.
• California registration - completed at AAA on August 23, 2018.
• Personalized "MASERQ" Veterans plate added January, 2019
If you are is seriously interested you can contact Bob direct at email@example.com.