A superb exhibition of Classic Maseratis
ENDED 18th MARCH 2001

The Museo dell'Automobile "Luigi Bonfanti" at Romano D'Ezzelino near Vicenza hosted an important exhibition of classic Maseratis until the 18th March 2001 and if you have missed the opportunity of visiting the museum I hope you'll enjoy these pages. I would like to thank Sig. Arcangelo Battaglia and Sign. Rosanna Bontorin from the museum for their kindness in allowing me to take these photographs and pass on this information to 'Maseratisti' who were unable to visit this exhibition.
This was the most important exhibition ever seen about the 'Casa del Tridente' and was made possible through the close co-operation of Maserati Spa, the Registro Maserati and its members, the Biscaretti Museum in Turin and Collezione West Srl, Sports and Classic Maserati, Modena.


Years of production: 1989-1991
V6-cyl in line with 1488.2 cc capacity
DOHC with two valves per cylinder
Bore 66mm and stroke 72.5mm
Compression ratio 7.25:1
Power output 170 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Induction system by twin turbochargers
Nett weight 1100 kg
Estimated top speed 125 mph
Models built 7300

From a private collection

In the mid-Eighties De Tomaso negotiated a joint-venture with Chrysler which produced the Chrysler TC by Maserati. The Chrysler TC was available with three engines choices - a 3-litre V6-cyl producing 140 bhp @ 5000 rpm, a 4-cyl in line 2.2-litre 8-valve 'Turbo II' engine producing 160 bhp @ 5200 rpm (171 lb ft of torque @ 3600 rpm) and the Maserati 4-cyl in line 2.2-litre 16-valve 'Intercooled Turbo' engine producing 200 bhp @ 5500 rpm (220 lb ft of torque @ 3400 rpm). In its three years of production over 7,000 cars were produced and assembled in Italy strengthening the financial position of the 'Casa Del Tridente'.


Years of production: 1981-1985
V-6cyl @ 90° 1996 cc engine
DOHC with three valves per cylinder
Bore 82mm and stroke 63mm
Compression ratio 6.0:1
Power output 180 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Induction system by No 2 IHI turbochargers
Nett weight 1080 kg
Estimated top speed 134 mph
Models built 9206

From a private collection

This was the first new model produced under the new ownership of GEPI and De Tomaso, which revived Maserati after their unhappy times under the ownership of Citroen. It was a brave combination of Maseratis past experience and the new developments in technology. A compact - although it seated four, two-door sports coupé with an innovative twin-turbo engine which gave motorists high performance at a very competitive price.

This car was responsible for the rebirth of Maserati.


Years of production: 1955-1957
4-cyl in line 1484.1 cc engine
DOHC with two valves per cylinder
Bore 81mm and stroke 72mm
Compression ratio 11.5:1
Power output 150bhp @ 7500 rpm
Induction system by No 2 Weber 45 DCO3 carburettors
Nett weight 350 kg
Record breaking speed of 169.871 kph
Models built 1

From the Scuderia Dody Jost Collection

For the planning and testing of their new 1.5-litre Tipo 150S engine, Maserati moved into the field of water sports. This was a more discreet sector where it was easier to monitor its new research. Into this beautiful race boat, which looks like a single-seater mounted on a hull, built by the boatbuilder "Cantiere Timossi", was installed the first example of the new 1.5-litre engine - No 1650. On the 13th November 1954, this race boat piloted by Liborio Guidotto - who named the boat Maria Luisa IV after his daughter, set up a new World Water Speed Record of 169.871 kph for the 350 Kg class.


This is the chassis of the Tipo 60/61, designed by Giulio Alfieri, and you can see why it earned the nickname 'Birdcage'. Displayed in the foreground are Giulio Alfieri's original designs.

"Over 200 small-diameter chrome-molybdenum steel tubes of varying lengths and thickness (15mm, 12mm and 10mm outside-diameter) went into the frame's construction; plus a great quantity of welding gas. The frame structure consisted of a full-length floor pan with three primary stress areas built on it. These were the front suspension support/engine compartment, cockpit and rear end." (excerpt from 'Maserati Birdcage' by Joel E. Finn).


The book 'Fangio', edited by Denis 'Jenks' Jenkinson, based on the film 'Fangio' by Hugh Hudson and Giovanni Volpi published in 1973 by Michael Joseph Ltd.

This is the poster for a film with the title 'Fangio: A life at 300 an hour'.

As this was an Italian film we must suppose that they were thinking in terms of kilometres and not miles. Judging by the damage to the nose of the car, the artwork in the poster seems to be inspired by the famous photograph of Fangio at the wheel of a Maserati 250F in the 1957 French Grand Prix at Rouen. Where did the Ferrari (top right) with the front and rear wings come from?


Year of production: 1940-1948
8-cyl in line 3981.7 cc engine
DOHC with four valves per cylinder
Bore 78mm and stroke 78mm
Compression ratio 6.5:1
Power output 415-430 bhp @ 6400-6800 rpm
Induction system by No 2 Roots superchargers

Derived from the 4CL, the 8CL (8 Cylinder Lineale - 'in a straight line') was composed of two cylinder blocks mounted in line on a common crankcase. Designed between 1939 and 1940, it was the logical evolution of the 8CTF (8 Cylinder Testa Fissa - 'Fixed Head') engine which in those same years (1939 and 1940) powered the 8CTF, driven by Wilbur Shaw, to victory in the 'Indianapolis 500'. This modern supercharged engine, with its four valves per cylinder and equal bore and stroke measurements, was prematurely ended by the outbreak of World War II. After the war, the Grand Prix formula was changed and the 8CL engine, no longer valid for the European races, was raced at Indianapolis by Luigi Villoresi in 1946 and by the American Fred Agahashian in 1949.


This dismantleable crankshaft is a further proof of the technical excellence achieved by Maserati in engine design and manufacture. Designed in late 1946 it was built in a few units and experimentally fitted to the 4 CL single-seater. It was Ernesto Maserati's last design before he left the 'Casa del Tridente'.
(sourced from 'Il Tridente' - Summer 1997)


This is the race suit worn by Denny Zardo, who drove for Team Zara Automobili, winner of the 1995 Ghibli Open Cup race series. Unfortunately Sig Zardo was unable to defend his title after the 1996 series was abandoned after only two races.
Denny Zardo's winning points tally for the 1995 season was 118 points, his nearest rival Federico D'Amore, driving for Team Mocauto, amassed 103 points.


The beautiful trident that appears of the front of the Timoressi-Maserati race boat. Note the design at the top og the air intake, perculiar to the radiator grilles on Maserati race cars of that period.


In 1937 the Maserati brothers sold their shares to the Orsi family from Modena. Ernesto, Bindo and Ettore Maserati were retained to design the cars and run the operation. The Orsi family ran businesses ranging from the production of steel to the manufacture of machine tools.





To enter Enrico's Maserati Pages CLICK HERE!

Copyright: Enrico's Maserati Pages - © 2000-2004. All rights reserved.