|A Maserati Collection I
The forthcoming sale of thirteen exciting Maseratis.
|Bonhams & Brooks' Sale of Historic Motor Cars, Fine Automobilia & Collectors Watches
that included this private Maserati Collection was held on the 21st of May 2001 at the
Exposition de la Collection de Voitures Anciennes
S.A.S le Prince de Monaco
Les Terrasses de Fontvieille
I would like to thank Simon Kidson of Bonhams & Brooks S.A.M, Monaco for his
kind permission to reproduce the
images and text from their excellent catalogue.
|EXCERPT FROM THE OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE - 24th MAY 2001
|MONACO SENSATION FROM BONHAMS & BROOKS
21 May 2001
Collectors and enthusiasts from around the world crowded into Prince Rainier's motor car museum in Monte Carlo for Bonhams & Brooks' 11th annual Les Grandes Marques sale preceding the Formula 1 Grand Prix - the longest attendance by any auction house in the Principality.
The main motor car sale was preceded by a selection of automobilia (93% sold) and a section devoted specifically to watches, featuring a superb collection of classic Heuer timepieces (80% sold). One of several notable results was the world record price (FF299,000) achieved for an original Bugatti watch by Mido dating from the 1920s.
The motor car sale attracted great interest which produced several tense moments as bidding soured way over estimates on certain lots. These included the 'barn find' Bentley, an S1 Continental Convertible which came to the sale direct from 30 years in storage in Cairo and achieved a staggering FF1,335,000, selling to a prominent American collector.
The eagerly awaited Maserati collection, owned by the former Swiss importer of the marque, saw 100% sold with many cars exceeding their top estimates, including a record FF499,000 for a 1982 Khamsin.
1962 MASERATI 3500GTi SPYDER
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA VIGNALE.
CHASSIS No AM101*1403* - ENGINE No AM101.1990
Maserati's first series produced road car not un-naturally attracted the attention of Italy's finest carrozzieri: Allemano, Bertone and Frua all created bodies for the 3500GT chassis. Most coupés were the work of Touring, while all but one (a Frua-bodied example) of the much less-common Spyder version were the work of Carrozzeria Vignale.
The latter, one of the most illustrious of Italian coachbuilders, had been founded in 1948 by Alfredo Vignale, whose career had begun pre-war with a successful design on the FIAT Topolino chassis. Carrozzeria Vignale designed and built cars for Ferrari, Lancia and Maserati among others, and in the 1960s branched out into automobile manufacture in its own right, making a series of models at its factory in Grugliasco, Turin. In 1969 Alfredo Vignale sold his company to the De Tomaso Group and, sadly, lost his life three days later at the wheel of a Maserati.
Introduced in 1959, Vignale's Maserati 3500GT Spyder was the creation of Giovanni Michelotti, at that time the company's star designer. Constructed on a slightly shorter wheelbase - 250cm as opposed to 260cm - than the coupé and built only to order, the Spyder lasted in production until 1964, by which time just 245 of these very pretty cars had been made.
Factory records indicate that chassis '1403' left the Modena works in August 1962, destined for a client in Turin. The car was later exported to the States where it was restored for a collector who appears never to have driven it. Upon his death his widow sold the car and it was acquired by the present owner around 1991.
From an inspection condition appears to be superb: the interior is retrimmed in the finest quality black leather with new, matching mohair soft top and black carpets.
The coachwork has been repainted in Rosso Corsa and shows no apparent faults. An optional factory hard top is also fitted, restored to the same standard as the body.
ESTIMATE FF 480,000 - 550,000 / GB£ 47,000 - 54,000 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 620,000 (price includes buyer's premium).
1963 MASERATI 3500GTi COUPÉ
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA TOURING.
CHASSIS No AM 101*2570*
Despite numerous racetrack successes that included Fangio's fifth World Championship - driving a 250F - in 1957, Maserati was by that time facing a bleak future. Its parent company's financial difficulties forced a withdrawal from racing, and Maserati's survival strategy for the 1960s centred on establishing the company as a producer of road cars.
The Modena marque's new era began in 1957 with the launch of the Touring-bodied 3500GT, its first road car built in significant numbers. A luxury 2+2, the 3500GT drew on Maserati's competition experience, employing a tubular chassis frame and an engine derived from the 350S sports racing unit of 1956. Suspension was independent at the front by wishbones and coil springs, while at the back there was a live axle/ semi-elliptic arrangement.
The 3500GT's designer was none other than Giulio Alfieri, creator of the 'Birdcage' sports-racer and the man responsible for developing the 250F into a World Championship winner. The twin-overhead-camshaft, six-cylinder engine was a relative of that used in the 250F and developed around 220bhp initially, later examples producing 235bhp on Lucas fuel injection. Built initially with drum brakes and a four-speed gearbox, the 3500GT was gradually improved, gaining five speeds, front disc brakes and, finally, all-disc braking.
A car possessing such impeccable antecedents attracted the attention of Italy's finest carrozzieri: Allemano, Bertone and Frua all created bodies for the 3500GT chassis, while most coupés were the work of Touring. Its stylish coachwork and competition-inspired design ensured the 3500GT's success; so much so that later derivatives - the Sebring and Mistral - were in production as late as 1970. Production of the original 3500GT/ GTi ceased in 1965 after 1,983 cars had been made.
Factory records show that this late specification 3500GTi coupé was supplied new to a Signor Giovanni Stocchetti in Milan in May 1963, attractively finished in Grigio Albany (grey) with blue leather upholstery. The car was acquired by the current owner in 1988 from Scardovi, the Maserati Bologna agent, having already been partially restored.
ESTIMATE FF 200,000 - 300,000 / GB£ 19,600 - 29,400 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 287,500 (price includes buyer's premium).
1970 MASERATI MISTRAL 4000 COUPÉ
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA FRUA.
CHASSIS No AM109/A1*1568*
Last of the classic six-cylinder Maseratis, the Pietro Frua-styled Mistral commenced production in 1963. The 3.7-litre version of the Bolognese manufacturer's long-stroke engine was fitted to most cars, other options being the 3.5-litre or, from 1966, the 4.0-litre unit, all of which came with Lucas fuel injection. With 255bhp available from its larger engine, an increase of 10bhp over the 3.7-litre unit, the Mistral 4000 was good for a top speed approaching 150mph (240km/h).
A handsome two-seater on a shortened, square-tube chassis, the Mistral was built in coupé and spider versions, the former's opening rear window hatch making it an unusually practical car. A five-speed gearbox, disc brakes and fuel injection were standard equipment; automatic transmission, air conditioning and a limited-slip differential the options. Production ceased in 1970, by which time a total of 827 coupés and 123 spiders had been built.
Factory records show that this car was built in January 1970 with the larger 4.0 litre engine for a Signor Luciano Giacomelli of Turin, who specified Bianco Polo (white) coachwork with red Connolly upholstery.
Acquired by the vendor from renowned Maserati restorer Giuseppe Candini, of Modena, this magnificent example had been rebuilt by him and was used as his personal transport. The vendor informs us that the car has participated in several Concours d'Elegance, is recorded with the Registro Maserati and is in 'impeccable' condition throughout.
Finished in the original colour scheme and boasting alloy wheels as fitted to the last Mistrals, it has been recently checked over and comes with Swiss import documents (form 1320A).
ESTIMATE FF 180,000 - 250,000 / GB£ 17,600 - 24,500 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 195,500 (price includes buyer's premium).
1966 MASERATI 3700GTi SEBRING Series II COUPÉ
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA VIGNALE.
CHASSIS No AM101/S10*283* - ENGINE No AM101S 10283
Maserati's survival strategy for the 1960s centred on establishing the company as a producer of road cars. The Modena marque's new era began in 1957 with the launch of the Touring-bodied 3500GT, a luxury 2+2 which drew on Maserati's competition experience, employing a tubular chassis and an engine derived from the 350S sports car unit.
Built on the short-wheelbase (255cm) chassis of the Vignale-bodied 3500GT spider, the Sebring coupé arrived in 1962. By now a ZF five-speed all-synchromesh gearbox, Girling four-wheel disc brakes and Lucas fuel injection were standard equipment; automatic transmission, air conditioning, and a limited-slip differential the options. "Undoubtedly the jewel of this car is its splendid engine, which is virtually beyond
criticism in its functioning and in the impeccable finish and artistry of its outward appearance," reckoned Autocar magazine. "Although not defying convention in overall concept or detail, it is the highly sophisticated result of many years' constant development in competition. A maximum speed of 137mph, together with the ability to reach 100mph from rest in only 23.8 seconds and to reach 125mph in the fourth of its five gears, speak for themselves. Yet the engine seems no more put out when asked to pull hard at a mere 600-700rpm than when roaring up to its recommended peak of 6,000rpm."
Introduced in 1965, the Sebring Series II came with a 3.7-litre, 245bhp engine and cosmetic updates; production ended in 1966, by which time 340 Series I and 98 Series II cars had been built.
Factory records show that this Sebring was built in March 1966 with the larger 3.7 litre engine and coachwork finished in Grigio Albany (silver grey) complimented by black Connolly upholstery. The original owner was a Signora Marianna Pacini of Rome, who took delivery on 5th April.
This superbly presented Sebring MkII had already been restored (possibly by Autosport of Bologna) when purchased by the vendor from Scardovi, Maserati agent in Bologna, c. 1990. Finished in the original colour scheme, it boasts excellent chromework, Borrani wire wheels and an original interior featuring air conditioning, radio, cream headlining and red carpets. Displaying a total of 59,900 kilometres on the odometer, the car is described as in impeccable condition in every respect and is offered with Swiss importation papers (form 1320A). Local taxes will be payable if the car remains in the EU, although it may be imported via Great Britain at the VAT rate for historic cars of just 5%.
ESTIMATE FF 180,000 - 250,000 / GB£ 17,600 - 24,500 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 241,500 (price includes buyer's premium).
1970 MASERATI INDY COUPÉ
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA VIGNALE.
CHASSIS No AM116*806*
Maserati followed up its stunning, Ghia-styled Ghibli two-seater with the equally elegant lndy 2+2, though the latter, introduced in 1968 and the first unitary-construction Maserati, was the work of Vignale. Running gear was conventional, with independent front suspension, live rear axle and four-wheel disc brakes, while the power unit was the Modena firm's well-tried, 4.2-litre, four-cam V8. With 260bhp on tap, top speed was in the region of 150mph. Production ceased in 1975 after 1,104 cars had been built.
Autocar magazine's summary was one of almost unalloyed praise. "Classic touring car with vee-8 engine and 160mph potential. Beautifully smooth power unit, silky gearbox and light, power assisted steering. Good brakes, balanced handling, comfortable ride, superb stability. High price but few disappointments."
Supplied new to Commendatore Settimo Costanzo in Padova on 19th November 1970, this handsome lndy was later acquired by the vendor from Scardovi in Bologna, the official Maserati concessionnaire. The coachwork is finished in silver with combination black leather/ cloth upholstery, the specification also including air conditioning and manual transmission. Indicated mileage is 50,422km and the condition of the car is commensurate with this reading. A mechanical check-over was completed in 1999.
ESTIMATE FF 160,000 - 200,000 / GB£ 15,700 - 19,600 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 126,500 (price includes buyer's premium).
1970 MASERATI GHIBLI COUPÉ
with coachwork by CARROZZERIA GHIA.
CHASSIS No AM115*1626*
A strong contender for the 'most handsome car of the Sixties' title, Maserati's Ghibli debuted at the Turin Motor Show in November 1966. Styled at Ghia by Giorgetto Giugiaro, and named after a Sahara Desert wind, the Ghibli rivalled the Ferrari Daytona for straight-line performance - its top speed was close to 275km/h - while beating it for price and, arguably, looks. Like the contemporary Mexico 2+2, the Ghibli used a tubular steel chassis with a live rear axle. Power came from Maserati's four-cam V8, an engine derived from that of the 450S sports racer and first seen in road-going guise in the 5000GT. This was used in 4.7-litre, 330bhp form up to 1970, when it was superseded by the 4.9-Iitre, 355bhp version. In either case, performance was stunning.
Delivered new in Geneva in April 1970, this 4.7-litre Ghibli was acquired by the vendor from its first owner. Finished in the original Celeste Chiaro (light metallic blue) with black Connolly leather interior and featuring alloy wheels, manual gearbox and period Autovox radio, the car displays a total of 63,259 kilometres and is described as in 'correct, original' condition throughout. It is offered with cancelled Swiss Permis de Circulation: local import taxes will be liable if the car remains in the EU, although it may be imported via Great Britain at the VAT rate for historic cars of just 5%.
ESTIMATE FF 150,000 - 200,000 / GB£ 14,700 - 19,600 (approx.)
PRICE REALISED . . . . . . FF 172,500 (price includes buyer's premium).
NEXT PAGE: LOTS 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 and 220.