An Important Maserati Sale
A forthcoming auction of important and exciting Maseratis.



August 15-16, 2003 Monterey Sports Car Auction

DoubleTree Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey, California, USA.



INCREDIBLE COACHBUILT MASERATI COLLECTION TO BE FEATURED AT RM AUCTIONS' ANNUAL MONTEREY SALE

Houston Businessman Alfredo Brener To Sell His Assemblage of Rare Grand Touring Maseratis, August 15-16, 2003

BLENHEIM, Ontario, Canada (July 17, 2003) - As part of its 2003 Monterey Sports and Classic Car Auction, August 15-16, 2003, RM AUCTIONS will offer discriminating buyers a selection of impeccably restored, coachbuilt Maseratis from the personal collection of businessman and avid Maserati enthusiast Alfredo Brener. Ten cars from the extensive Brener collection, all coachbuilt examples from Frua, Michelotti, Allemano, Moretti and Carrozzeria Touring will cross the block at the Doubletree Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf, during the two-day sale.


I would like to thank Terrance D. Lobzun of RM Auctions for his kind permission to reproduce the images and text from their fine catalogue.



LOT 451

1957 Maserati A6G/2000 Spyder
with coachwork by FRUA.


CHASSIS No 2191


160bhp 1,985cc. dual overhead camshaft inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, live rear suspension with radius arms and leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulically-actuated drum brakes. Wheelbase 2,550mm (100.4").

Descended from the successful 6CM Monoposto designed by the Maserati brothers in 1936, the A6 formed the basis upon which the Orsis began to evolve Maserati from a strictly racing car constructor into a builder of low volume, fast and high quality grand touring and sports cars. The 6CM, a 1,500cc supercharged straight six, was impressively successful, and during the late 1930s the Maserati brothers built some 11 monopostos and 16 wide-chassis 6Cs. Omer Orsi was put in charge at Maserati by his father, Adolfo, and charted a dual path for the company, by now based in Modena. The Maserati brothers had worked out their 10-year contract with the Orsis and returned to their native Bologna to start OSCA, having seen most of the ten years unproductively spent, at least from the point of view of dedicated racecar builders, in World War II. The newly-named Officine Alfieri Maserati had only 30 employees in 1947 but Omer Orsiís ambitious plans included both continuing the Maserati racing tradition and leveraging its skills and reputation into low volume production.

The 6CM engine was substantially redesigned and modernized, particularly by shortening its stroke and increasing the bore to make room for larger valves and increase its maximum rpm. Even with a single overhead camshaft the first 1,500cc models employed hemispherical combustion chambers with long rocker arms to actuate the valves. Not surprisingly, a twin cam version was developed for the racing A6GCS and the Formula 2 A6GCM Monoposto, and this soon was adapted to the road cars in two-liter form as the A6G/2000 and A6G/54, both designations being used simultaneously.

In production (if that term can be applied to Maseratiís artisanal workshop in this period) for twelve years, from 1946 through 1957, only 139 examples of the A6 in its many variations were built, of which only 60 were the twin cam 2.0 liter A6G/2000. Its construction was simplistic with a tube frame supported on dual wishbone coil spring independent front suspension and a live rear axle. Brakes were large drums. In its final version the A6G/2000 made some 160 horsepower, breathing through three dual choke Weber carburetors and fired by twin ignition, an impressive figure when compared, for example, with the highly acclaimed contemporary XK 120 Jaguar which needed nearly 1.5 liters more displacement to produce the same power. Weighing less than a ton, the A6G/2000ís performance was outstanding. The A6 series was built during a critical phase of innovation and evolution among Italian coachbuilders. The angular shapes and projecting fenders of the 1930s were quickly evolving into envelope bodies with tapered tails and even more extravagant and experimental concepts. Maseratiís A6, with its refined sixcylinder engine and chassis and exceptional build quality, was quickly adopted by many Italian coachbuilders both to bear their groundbreaking concept studies and to generate valuable income from sales to clients. Pinin Farina, Vignale, Frua, Zagato and Allemano all chose the A6 in one or more if its variants for everything from luxurious gran turismos to lightweight, aerodynamic racing cars.



One of the most successful coachbuilders on the A6 chassis was Pietro Frua and his most memorable and successful design was the Spyder. Only some nine were built during the period from 1955 through 1957, but they are coveted by collectors for their excellent build quality and tasteful yet sporting styling. The example offered here from the collection of Mr. Alfredo Brener is one of the last produced, from the final year of A6G/2000 production. Typically Frua in design and execution, the Spyder is tautly packaged with minimal external embellishments and the true elegance which comes from thoughtful integration of form and function. Even with the top erected the Frua Spyder is refreshing.

Restored some years ago in its original and very attractive beige color, it has a black interior and matching black painted hood spear. The engine was rebuilt by Francorchamps of America. It was acquired by Mr. Brener from Concorso Italiano impresario Frank Mandarano and has been shown subsequently at Keels & Wheels in Texas where it won its class. Like all of Mr. Brenerís Maseratis, it has been carefully and consistently maintained to be available at a momentís notice for tours, events or just a weekendís drive and is accordingly in very good condition. More important, it runs and drives well.

The A6G/2000 was the last Maserati to trace its lineage directly to the Maserati brothers and is known for its excellent performance, build quality and the exceptional coachwork which the best coachbuilders in Italy created for it. Among A6G/2000s the Frua Spyder combines rarity and great looks with the undeniable attributes of top-down motoring. This example from the renowned collection of Mr. Alfredo Brener is sure to please the most discerning collector.


ESTIMATE US $200,000 - $300,000  /  GB £133,000 - £199,000 (approx.)

HIGH BID: US $324,500 (including 10% buyer's premium)  /  GB £204,400 (approx.) - SOLD.




TWO MORE IMPORTANT MASERATIS



LOT 469

1956 Maserati A6G2000 Coupe
with coachwork by ZAGATO.


CHASSIS No 2189


165bhp 1,985cc double overhead camshaft inline six-cylinder engine with three twin choke Weber carburetors, twin ignition, five-speed transmission, independent front suspension with upper and lower wishbones and coil springs, solid rear axle with radius rods and leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 100.4".

This beautiful, little, two-liter Berlinetta was one of a handful of Maserati's sports-racing A6G series to be clothed by that master of ultra-light bodywork, Zagato.

The Maserati A6G series really began in 1947 with Maserati's production of the A6, a simple, chassis supporting a six-cylinder, single overhead camshaft engine of some 1,488cc that gave 65bhp. Maserati continued to develop the A6G series until, by 1954, the engine had a capacity of 1,985cc and bore a stroke of 76.5 X 72mm with aluminum block and crankcase. Twin plugs per cylinder and three twin-choke Weber carburetors resulted in 165bhp at 6,750rpm, and transmission was handled by a dry, twin-plate clutch with a four-speed and reverse gearbox, of which third and fourth gear were synchronized.

The chassis was still of the twin, parallel-tubes design, with the rear sweeping up and over the rear axle. At the front, suspension was provided by unequal-length twin wishbones with coil springs, Houdaille shock absorbers, and an anti-roll bar. At the rear, there was a rigid rear axle housing attached to the chassis via trailing radius arms and an A bracket with quarterelliptical springs, as well as Houdaille shock absorbers and an anti-roll bar. The scuttle was built of one-inch welded tubing for added stiffness, while the brakes were of the hydraulic, two-leading shoe pattern with big, light-alloy drums. The fuel tank's capacity was 27.5 gallons, with the dry-sump oil tank being mounted behind it.



As with many hand-built Italian cars of the period, these bodies were coachbuilt, with each one differing slightly from the other. Allemano, Frua, Vignale, and Zagato all clothed A6G2000 chassis, but there is little doubt today that it is these striking Zagato coupes that are considered the prettiest.

This particular A6G Zagato has a most interesting history, which was provided by its owners, as well as by the books of Orsini, DeBoer, de la Rive, Box, and R. Crump. The car was sold new in January 1956 as chassis no. 2118, through Rome dealer Guglielmo Dei for Italian driver Luigi Musso. By 1957, after the Factory renumbered it as chassis no. 2189 (as recorded on the Factory Build Sheet), the coupe went to Count Magi Diligenti, a nobleman who was well-known for his performance in an A6 GCS PF Coupe in the 1954 Mille Miglia.

In 1960, Palermo physician Dr. Giacomo Vitale appears as the owner, after which the car came to America in the 1980s. In the 1990s, chassis no. 2189 was owned by noted American collectors Sam and Emily Mann, who conducted an exhaustive restoration to the highest of standards. The gearbox was also exchanged for a five-speed Alfa Romeo gearbox at this time, in order to improve driveability. The original gearbox, which has been completely overhauled, still comes with the car.

By 1999, the car had been purchased by Fritz Hartmann, who intended to enter with it in the Mille Miglia and Ferrari/Maserati Challenge events. A change of plans, however, resulted in Hartmann offering the car through the 1999 Monterey Sports Car Auction, where this vendor acquired it. A part of the renowned Skip Barber collection, this car has been meticulously maintained - and even improved - by his technicians. Less than 20 of these very pretty Zagato coupes were built; and they rank in importance among the very best work by the revered coachbuilder. Few have been restored to the degree that this one has, and, as such, this car represents a singular opportunity for the collector wishing to purchase an ideal event car in near perfect condition.


ESTIMATE US $395,000 - $450,000  /  GB £260,000 - £299,000 (approx.)

HIGH BID: US $467,501 (including 10% buyer's premium)  /  GB £294,500 (approx.) - SOLD.





LOT 478

1956 Maserati A6G/54GT 2000 Berlinetta
with coachwork by ALLENAMO.


CHASSIS No 2115


165bhp 1,985 cc DOHC straight-six engine with twin-plug ignition, triple Weber carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, upper and lower A-arms, hydraulic shock absorbers at front, leaf springs, live rear axle, hydraulic shock absorbers at rear, four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 100.4".



Ferrari and Maserati are the two Italian super carmakers. Back in the 1950s, these two manufacturers fought out titanic battles with their Formula One and sports-racing cars, until Maserati's withdrawal from World Championship racing in 1957.

Maserati's first port-war sports car was the A6, basically a 65 horsepower, six-cylinder, engine of 1488cc with a single overhead camshaft fitted into a simple ladder frame chassis. This was usually fitted with skimpy, cycle-fendered bodywork and was driven by noted drivers such as Ascari and Villoresi in competition with Ferrari's first sports cars.



This car was steadily developed until, by 1955, it had become the A6GCS, now enlarged to two-liters and fitted with twin-plug ignition and triple Weber carburetors to give some 165 horsepower. Nearly always bodied in coupe form, by Allemano, Zagato or Pinin Farina, it was a popular and expensive car. They were extensively raced in the up to-two-liter class in such great events as the Mille Miglia or the Targa Florio and their nimble handling enabling them to sometimes hold their own with larger-engined Ferraris, or merely used as daily transport by the Italian Grandees of the period.


The A6G/54GT Berlinetta offered here is one of the rare, Allemano-bodied examples of which just fifteen were built and was Maserati's show car at the Geneva Auto Show of 1956. It had been ordered by Baron Emmanuelle "Tuolo" De Graffenreid, the Swiss "Works" driver for Maserati's Grand Prix factory team from 1936 to 1956.

According to the Maserati records, he had helped to design the car to his specifications. This Maserati A6G is fitted with French-language gauges and has been fitted with disc brakes at the front, helping its driving manners today. It may well be the very first Maserati to be fitted with disc brakes.


"Tuolo" sold his Maserati A6G to a Mr. Schneider in Lausanne, Switzerland in 1957, who kept it for many years. In the late 1960s, he gave the car to his workshop foreman who, in turn, sold it to San Franciscan John Bloch. Mr. Bloch, after re-uniting the Maserati with its original engine, sold it to a Mr. Baechtold who, in turn, sold the car on some time later.



This Maserati has been extremely well restored, having been completely disassembled before being painstakingly put back together. It has beautiful maroon paint with a custom-made tan leather interior. The chassis was completely detailed to original specifications with suspension parts and brakes all completely overhauled. at the same time, the opportunity was taken to go through the engine and rebuild it to original specifications. All the gauges, wiring harness and all electrical and hydraulic parts have been completely rebuilt, to original specifications.



After restoration, this Maserati A6G is believed to have been shown at the Pebble Beach concours, where it placed well and attracted much favorable attention. This is an extremely rare car in perfect condition. A chance for the lucky buyer to obtain a 1950's Maserati that is truly exquisite.



ESTIMATE US $160,000 - $200,000  /  GB £106,000 - £133,000 (approx.)

HIGH BID: US $135,000  /  GB £85,000 (approx.) - DID NOT SELL.


NEXT PAGE: LOTS 134, 135 and 136.
 
BACK TO: LOTS 448, 449 and 450.
 



To enter Enrico's Maserati Pages CLICK HERE!

Copyright: RM AUCTION INC. - © 2003. All rights reserved.